Financial Aid Information Night
On October 4th at 7:00 pm, the Silverton High School Counseling Team will be hosting a Financial Aid Information Night. We will have both English and Spanish presentations. The English presentation will be in the auditorium and the Spanish presentation will be in the library. These presentations will help families understand how to apply for Financial Aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The FAFSA application opens up on October 1st, but waiting until after the workshop will not impact your eligibility or money qualified for, but you should not delay!
- The application for the FAFSA can be found at: Federal Student Aid – Office of US Department of Education
After High School Planning
Many seniors have started to come to the Counseling Center to talk about after high-school planning. There is a lot you can begin researching right now during AG or after school to help in your decision-making process. Whether you are planning to attend college, trade school, the military, straight to the workforce, or an apprenticeship program – there is plenty to learn between now and graduation!
- If you are planning to attend college, you should check out is the SHS College Resource site.
- SHS Home page > Students > Counseling Center > College Resources > SHS College Resource Website
- At the top of the page, you can see tabs that include timelines for senior year, college pathways, and financial aid information. Please check out this site and also the admissions sites from any colleges you are planning to apply to so that you are aware of application requirements and deadlines.
- Dr. Kirsten Barnes is a great resource for apprenticeship or trade school planning. You can find her in room C133. If you are interested in the Military and have not talked with a recruiter yet, you can stop by the Counseling Office to get recruiter information. No matter what your plans are (or aren’t), you can start somewhere by researching and talking to people about their own paths after high school! The SHS Counseling Team also has a site created for career information, click here to take a look!
Don’t forget to check out our Scholarship webpage!
- Keep an Eye on Local Scholarships! One or two local scholarships have opened, but most will start to open on January 1, 2021. When a local scholarship opens, it will be noted in the title of the scholarship as OPEN and moved to the top of the list on the webpage. If a listed scholarship does not show open – make sure to check back often! Not all scholarships open at the same time.
- Check Out the Details! When you click on the scholarship that you are interested in, more information about the scholarship will open included the criteria for the scholarship, what documents are needed to complete your application, and directions on how to submit your application.
- Watch Those Deadlines! Most scholarships will open and close on different dates. You can create a spreadsheet to track the scholarships you want to apply for. Make sure to get your application submitted on time. Late applications are not accepted.
- Questions about Scholarships? Contact Mrs. Chorazy, in the Counseling Center. She is the SHS Registrar and Scholarship Coordinator. Click Here to Email Mrs. Chorazy, stop by or call 503-873-6331 Ext. 3826