Please contact the Attendance Office if your student is absent on any school day.
Attendance Office Direct Line: (503) 873-1974
Silverton High School (503) 873-6331
Can my student go to School Today?
Please try to excuse an absence ahead of time or on the same day. You can call, e-mail, or send a note. Please include the following:
- Your name (first and last)
- Student’s name (first and last)
- Reason for absence
- If your student is absent due to illness, please be sure to include this information:
- Symptoms (cough, fever, aches, headache, sore throat, vomiting, etc.)
- When they started, whether there is a fever, and
- If there has been any Covid exposure or if they have tested positive for Covid-19
- Number to call you back if there is a question
- A signature, if sending a note
If you call and receive the voicemail, please leave a message. Phone messages are checked at a minimum of every 15 minutes.
- Parents may call, e-mail, or send a note with the time and reason the student needs to leave school. As much notice as possible is appreciated!
- A town pass will be sent to the student in class. Their teacher will release them from class at the requested time. Students are free to leave the building with the town pass, eliminating the need for you to come inside to get them.
- If your student knows they are to be excused for an appointment but did not receive a town pass, they must come to check out at the Attendance Office before leaving campus.
- Students returning to school after leaving with a town pass must check in at the Attendance Office upon return.
- Leaving school without properly checking out will result in one day of in-school suspension.
- Any student late for school must check in at the Attendance Office before going to class.
- A tardy of more than 30 minutes is considered an absence.
Unexcused Absence Procedure
The day after an unexcused absence, an absence notice will be sent to your student in class. Your student will have up to 24 hours to excuse this absence excused by going to the Attendance Office with a parent note, or the parent may e-mail or call. If the absence is not excused within this time frame, the student will be assigned two lunch detentions for each unexcused class period.
- The 9th period is if your student has a Zero period. You might hear this if you get the automatic messaging advising you of an absence.
- The 10th period is Homeroom. You might hear this if you get the automatic messaging advising you of an absence.
- Students are expected to be at school if they are going to participate in extracurricular activities, including athletics. If a dance falls on a Saturday, your student needs to be present for the entire prior school day.
- The full text of these policies may be found in the Silverton High School Student Handbook.